Sunday, September 2, 2012

Paleo Breakfast

If Paleo diet sounds new to you, let me do a little briefing here. It is a diet that resembles what our ancient ancestors ate - foods from hunter gathering, wild game, seafood, fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts, whatever naturally from nature. There is no wheat, no grain, no rice, no pastry, no dairy.

What is special about Paleo diet and why I go on with it?  I have digestive problem, some of my readers did suggest Paleo diet to me.  But I’ve been doing well with intermittent fasting, so I’ve put this idea aside.  Recently I’m suffering from some seasonal allergy, my doctor suggested a number of holistic healing methods and one of them is to go on a temporary Paleo diet. 

Actually I don’t really fond of the idea of food restriction, as it is quite inconvenient when I have to eat with others.  So buffet is a good idea, as each one of us can eat whatever we love to eat.  Today I have a free coupon to eat at Café Too of Island Shangri-La.  Below is a summary of my Paleo breakfast.

Anna - Paleo Breakfast at Cafe Too, Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
One Egg Omlette with Ham and Mushroom
Vegetables and Meat Balls.  The string-like thing is not noodle, they are green bean sprouts.
Chicken Curry and Cucumber - I invented this combination!
Usually I do curry with rice, but on Paleo, I chose cucumber.
Poached Fruits - Prune, Apple, Appricot are very delicious and healthy.  The one next to appricot is a baby pear.  It's my first time to come across a pear of such size (like the fist of a new born baby).
Fresh Fruits to wrap up my Paleo Breakfast together with a cup of coffee.
 I'm still eating what I love to eat.  Not bad at all!
 
To do Paleo diet is not that difficult, but in the first few days, I do feel miss my favourite fried rice, fried noodle, pizza, hamburger etc.  After the first week, it becomes much easier.  As I’m not on strict Paleo, so I can still enjoy coffee and tea with a bit of milk.  However at the buffet table, I do miss my favourite toast.  Anyway, temporary food restriction is a test of my willpower.  I’m sure I can do it, especially I’m doing it for my health.

If you want to try Paleo diet, please understand this diet encourages weight loss.   I’m quite below par according to BMI, but I lost five pounds in the first week.

If you want to find out more about Paleo diet and learn prepare your own Paleo meals, here are some links for your reference.

 
 
Buffet Breakfast at Cafe Too: HK$298 + 10% service charge
7/F Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong

3 comments:

雙雙 said...

Very nice and healthy breakfast! Always love reading your food blog, and indeed, i can't believe you only eat one meal per day! :D

ferdinand hegemur said...

mmmm...yummy....
i like it...

Annie said...

Hi Anna. I came across your blog wanting to learn more about intermittent fasting because I am currently doing it at the moment. Your blog certainly contains a lot of useful information and I am glad someone has obtained positive results with intermittent fasting. I have been fasting for almost a week now and I might say I have lost quite a few pounds and my stomach doesn't feel as heavy. :) I just hope I don't regain all the weight back in the long term.